PDF on Facebook

PDF on Twitter

PDF on Twitter

The Professional Drivers Foundation: PDA Forums

PDF :: View topic - out of scope
Welcome ( Log in )
Profile | Forum FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups

out of scope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Tachograph Law & Working Time Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weauser1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: out of scope Reply with quote

If you set tacho in "out of mode" do you legally need to put a driver card in?
I rang DVSA Wales and they said you didnt.
However, my download software Smart Anaylsis does not state that tach is in out of mode unlike the old Novatech software that had a white line through it to indicate "out of scope"
Anyone else have "out of scope" issues
Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hullo weauser1, welcome to the PDF forums.

Our resident tacho expert will be along in a while to answer your question. We leave it to the one person with the most knowledge to avoid confusion.

Virtus Propter Se.

Pat Nicholson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Weauser1

I can confirm that DVSA Wales are correct.

The latest edition of GV262 states

Quote:
The driver of a vehicle that is exempt from or out of scope of the EU rules is not required to use the recording equipment, even if it is fitted, unless the vehicle is operated by a universal service provider (USP). At the time of publication, the only USP is the Royal Mail.

However, that is reliant on the fact that the vehicle/driver is not driving 'in scope' in any part of the week.

Reading between the lines that you are downloading and using Smart Analysis suggest it might be so more information needed.

Pat

weauser1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that Pat. We have decided to put card in and put into out of scope mode as well so that we can get useful data to send to smartanalysis. For anybody else using this software, you need a driver card in the unit to get any downloads which i have raised with the vendors and got nowhere

One further query, how do you record that the bus is undergoing repair or maintenance? Often the mechanics, who do not have a driver card are required toi move the minibuses or give them a small test drive. Again, I believe one is exempt to use the tachograph but obviously it will be annotated on the download as driving without card. Is it sufficient to put in out of scope mode for repair and maintenance or is it best to keep a log book for these occasions
Pat Nicholson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is perfectly OK for fitters and indeed yard shunters or loaders, in the case of lorries, to nove vehicles around a yard or road test them after work has been done without a card.

You are correct and it is exempt from using a tachograph but of course will show driving without a card.

The good old paper trail of Defect sheets, maintenance check sheets and fitters job cards will prove why the vehicle has been moved and DVSA will always look in that direction first but of course if you wish to keep a log then belt and braces is always a good approach Very Happy

Pat

weauser1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pat, is nice to find somewhere to get get some concrete answers on such issues.
Have you had anyone else have problem with Smart Analysis?
Another quirk is if a driver has not used his or her card since the last download then Smart Analysis does not register a file to download and hence no proof that indeed the driver card has been downloaded within the 28 day cut off. It is the same with the vehicle downloads hence we have started using the cards in conjunction with putting into "out of scope" mode. The old Tachodata software worked fine but having real problems with this new one.
If there is a forum topic on it can you put me in right direction because as I say, I'm getting no joy from the vendor.
Incidentally, 95% of our work is "out of scope" .
Pat Nicholson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of any problems with Smart Analysis but that doesn't mean they don't exist Wink Very Happy

Pat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Tachograph Law & Working Time Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: