PDF on Twitter

The Professional Drivers Foundation: PDA Forums

PDF :: View topic - ADR quandary
Welcome ( Log in )
Profile | Forum FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups

ADR quandary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wozo66

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: ADR quandary Reply with quote

Hi everyone. As a 51 year old rookie to the professional driver's industry, I thought I'd chance my arm and ask my first question to my new, experienced colleagues.
I've recently passed my C class and have every intention of going for the C+E on receipt of my licence. As a newbie with previous industry experience in health and safety (NEBOSH Certificate holder) and handling hazardous substances, I would like to go for the ADR qualification to enhance my current and future driving qualifications but I'm not really sure whether to just take the plunge and go for the ADR to use in tandem with my C class qualification straight away or should I wait?
I don't wish to waste my finances on a qualification that I will never get use out of simply because I am a rookie but on the other hand, I wouldn't wish to miss out on any job opportunity, whether it be C class or C+E should I be fortunate enough to pass. It's one of those scenarios where i can't see the wood for the trees - and this is where a voice of reason would be extremely helpful! I'm currently based in East Yorkshire and have no property ties so would be willing to move to wherever there may be work in the UK.
As always, thank you for any advice which may be offered.
Pat Nicholson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Wozo and welcome to the PDF Waving

As an ex driver of 30 year standing and currently a DCPC trainer in my old age, I would say go for it if you can afford to as it will open up opportunities for you and be attractive to potential employers, more so if you target those who move hazardous goods.

You will already have done your Initial CPC when you did your C Class and have a DQC card valid for 5 years I presume?

However you will need to do another 35 hours of CPC training before that DQC card expires and this is where the ADR can help you. It is possible to do an ADR course that will count as 21 hours of that next 35 hours DCPC so if you you can save a bit of money there!

Have a look at this link which I've taken at random

http://www.redrosetraining.co.uk/adr-cpc-driver-cpc-training/

Birdie has his ADR and will be along soon with more information, I bet!

Hope this helps.

Pat

Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a few years since my ADR was valid, but it came in very handy when I was first starting out as a driver.

My initial qualification came courtesy of my first employer, but that got me into another job later.

Taking your ADR course will open opportunities for you, but it also shows prospective employers you're serious about driving for a living too. The 21 hours of DCPC time is a happy bonus.

As for moving to find work, I don't think you'll struggle too much in your area. Between the industry around Hull and the agriculture further north there has got to be some work around.

Do remember though that there are a great many different jobs out there with "driver" in the title. The first one you try may not suit, don't be afraid to give it a while, then try another. Some people like distance, others locals. Many drops suit some, singles are better for others.

Good luck.

Virtus Propter Se.

squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wozo
I had a bit of time away from the forums over the weekend.
I can only reiterate what the others have said, when first starting out any advantage you have over other drivers has to be used.
An ADR ticket may never be used but then again it might just be the difference between you and 10 other drivers.
Now is the time to use your new licence as there is usually a shortage of drivers in the run up to Christmas, although on January 3rd you may think your phone is broken.
If you haven't any firm offers use this time to sign on with a few agencies but use your judgement to whittle them down to just a couple of main ones you wish to work for. At onset don't be too picky about the work offered, the only provisio is that anything you are asked to do MUST be legal. Don't drive over your hours or take overloaded or unroadworthy vehicle out. Make that a line you will not cross.
Once you've accepted a job, do it (provided the above applies) you have to build up a rapport with the gang bosses at the agencies. As you will soon find out they have a couple of different lists with regards to who they call and you need to get onto the 'call first' list.

I would use the next two months to get some C experience before looking to improve your qualifications, be it C+E or ADR, in the new year when work is traditionally quiet.

Anything you need to know come back and ask, the only silly question is the one you don't ask.

YCWCYADTC
The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wozo! I live in the East Riding too, Cool thumbs up , but to back up the points others have made, go for it!

Thinking of the Humber Estuary alone, there is so much potential ADR work out there I believe.

Hull with its docks and the Vivirgo plant at the top end, plus whats hidden in the docks and up the side of the River Hull, but more importantly,look at Immingham, chemical works and the oil refinery spring to mind initially. Have a look at Scunthorpe and Goole- all have potential of finding ADR work I feel!

(p.s. Avoid Vivirgo if you can-its a poo hole of ridiculous rules and regs, and is hated by every wheat delivery driver who has had the misfortune to have been into it or are still doing so- I found my 'book of rules' recently and its 34 pages long!Don't think one is even allowed to fart there!)
wozo66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: ADR quandary Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I've been away for a while so I sincerely apologise for the lateness of this response.
I would like to thank each and everyone of you for your welcome to the industry and words of support and encouragement to a middle aged rookie. I take everything on board you have said and will certainly follow your advice.
I intend to ensure that I carry out my new career both professionally and diligently - I have certainly begun to understand how important it is to be professional and as knowledgeable as possible - the training i undertook certainly opened my eyes to how much more there is to simply driving a large vehicle.
I really thank you for taking the time to respond to my quandary - it certainly is helpful to know that there is always someone out there to offer guidance and advice when you most need it.
Thanks again,
Wozo66 (Mike)
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Mike. There will be set backs and good days. As you no doubt realise it will be a steep learning curve but we shall be here to offer advice or administer a kick up the ass, depending on circumstances Waving Very Happy Very Happy

YCWCYADTC
wozo66

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, Squarepeg, is exactly how I expect it to be..I think I'm going to enjoy my new career,

Waving Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you for your advice

M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Rookie & Training Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: