The Professional Drivers Foundation: PDA Forums

PDF :: View topic - November notes w.e. 11th Nov
Welcome ( Log in )
Profile | Forum FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups

November notes w.e. 11th Nov

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: November notes w.e. 11th Nov Reply with quote

It's getting harder to remember what happened in the past week, 20 year ago - no problem.

Lets see. Monday was a fine day and I made the most of it pottering in the garden. The start of another planting cycle when I put in some broad beans

Tuesday was a dull and damp day and best forgotten

Wednesday was, for a change, farriers day.

Thursday we sneaked up to the airport for a coffee and a bit of cake .

YCWCYADTC
Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only recall where I've been because I keep a diary Laughing

Monday: First stop is Leighton Buzzard, where I'm early and they're not ready Rolling Eyes . Having got out of there after an hours wait, my single pallet for Luton flies off, but the euphoria is short lived, as Welwyn Garden City are running slower than usual Sad . A visit to Hatfield doesn't take too long, but my final call into Park Royal becomes a time consuming affair after the forkie failed to tell the goods in bloke I was in the queue Fit . With time running short to get back to HQ I divert into the village lay by and get parked with barely a quarter of an hours duty remaining.

Tuesday: Back to Guyhirn and swap trailers, then set a course for Greenford. I'm late but they're not concerned, and its soon time for a ride around the North Circular road to Hackney. Here I arrive just behind another of ours, who's full load is booked ahead of mine, giving time for a breather and a yarn before running up to a little place near Finsbury Park. Two drops in Enfield finish the deliveries, with the second one taking an absolute age to check their order , so time to get home was about all the time I had.

Wednesday: A short break sees me in Chelmsford soon after 0500, taking my morning constitutional up and down the warehouse with 12 pallets Very Happy . With my exercise needs taken care of its Hoddy then Waltham Abbey next, before returning to Hackney, where today I'm the only Bretts lorry there Cool . Reload pallets from Bedford with a clean lorry following a stop at Toddington en-route. The pallets were meant for Kings Lynn, but the tacho insists I take them only as far as Guyhirn.

Thursday: Three round Park Royal, then down to Southall begin this trip, before a ride out to High Wycombe to shift the final pallets off the trailer. Back to Peterborough to collect a load which had already been collected Embarassed, then back to base empty.

Friday: The end of the week sees me down to Bracknell, followed by a swift visit to Farnborough. Back across to Kings Lynn to reload and home for the weekend Waving

Virtus Propter Se.

The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once my TM on Friday had decided my tasks for the day, it was unit only to a farm near Castle Howard, collect a full load of tatties, then into the G C F of Scarborough, tip that, then back to Frid Farms near Easingwold, back to the G C F of Scarborough's store this time, tip that, take an empty to a farm near Helmsley, drop that, unit only back to Scarborough, grab an mti, take that back to the yard, and as I couldn't find a quite place in the yard to park overnight, I took the unit up to the nearby McD's near Tadcaster for the night! Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Saturday. As the G C F of Scarborough had changed plans for the weekend it was up to *di* Darlington, back and over to Lymm for the night.

Sunday was tip one in a cold spot in Warrington, back, do another to Darlington then home!
chad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday to Thursday usual stuff, still trying to get 2 heavy goods lads through their qualification. Finally got one complete on Friday so gotta start with the last one today. HGV lads are always a nightmare, hard working on the tools but useless with their college paperwork

Friday was picking the daughter up from uni and start on the mountain of washing she brings home. Rang the insurance to see where we are up to with the ceiling but got no joy

Saturday was looking at tiles and bathroom suites as we made a decision that it the bath has to come out and re tiled then we may as well bite the bullet and have a new bathroom suite fitted and pay the plumber the extra as its over 15 years old and needs a revamp

Sunday was serving the nations thrifty 8am poundland which now appears the normal time as i inadvertantly agreed to this time. I dont mind as i dont like early mornings. First drop was Keighly via the M65, great run out and it was in a 33 foot tri deck with rear steer and the door was on top of a shopping centre. tight was not the word but managed it a headed back to base. next job was liverpool docks to pick up an Irish trailer. Got back to the yard and was told to put it on bay 39 which is the one bay you cant get straight on, the shunter driver had left his truck on the line of the bay but i managed to do it in one go, chuffed to say the least.

had the de brief and was asked if i'd like to work for them full time as apparently i get the job done quickly without moaning and Im reliable. The wife didnt believe the moaning bit but I'd love to just need to be made redundant first. home or 4.30 another enjoyable but not profitable day Waving
The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
had the de brief and was asked if i'd like to work for them full time as apparently i get the job done quickly without moaning and Im reliable.

There you are Chad. Reliable and a non moaner. A TM dream! Well done! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Pat Nicholson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and was asked if i'd like to work for them full time as apparently i get the job done quickly without moaning and Im reliable

Well done Chad, that's the sign of a good dependable agency driver!

I was just sat here with my second coffee of the day at 02.30am Cool and remembering just how far you'd come since first posting on here Very Happy

How, at times, you seemed so close to giving up in the early days and just look where you are now Laughing Laughing thumbs up

Pat

chad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all those kind words of encouragement. I absoloutely love the driving and now i can actually sleep the night before as im not nearly half as nervous as i was which makes a massive difference.

Being out on my own has been a massive learning curve and although the places i go arent nearly a taxing as where you guys go, i certainly wouldnt like to go to the places where Birdie goes but i bet it makes for an interesting day.

I know that Im better with 45 foot three axle trailers than the rear steer ones but Im getting better and now I dont go into a flap wondering if i can get it in, I know i can but might take me a bit longer than an experienced driver. Every time i go out whether its for Poundland or another company i learn something new, whether its how i get from A to B or how i approach the place to get the trailer in and on the bay.

long may it continue Waving Waving
The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
although the places i go arent nearly a taxing as where you guys go

Don't understatement your skills Chad, some of your exploits of getting into Poundland stores for example bring me out in a cold sweat, I would struggle as would most of the rest of us I bet!
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One place I dreaded delivering to was retail outlets, especially during working hours. I hate going near the places in my car let alone with a 45 foot trailer. Yet here you are Chad blithely going to frightening places every week thinking others have it worse.
You can only deal with what's in front of you and you seem to be doing it very well.

YCWCYADTC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Meeting Point All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: