The Professional Drivers Foundation: PDA Forums

PDF :: View topic - Dealing with the Beast. w.e 3rd March
Welcome ( Log in )
Profile | Forum FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups

Dealing with the Beast. w.e 3rd March

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Dealing with the Beast. w.e 3rd March Reply with quote

Very much a weather dominated week with much of the time spent battening down the hatches and leaving the roads to those that need them.
I did notice Mrs Nesbit in Scotland chose to blame lorries making 'unessential' journeys for the problems on the M8. So come on all you joy riding Scottish lorry drivers, park up (I don't know where, that's your problem) and leave the roads clear for essential users such as Mr BMW trying to get to his golf club.
Maybe a smoke screen to hide the fact the Highways Agency, despite their best efforts, couldn't keep the roads open.

YCWCYADTC
The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A busy week planned, which in the end turned out weather wise be a total shambles of cancellations! Rolling Eyes
Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday: Its cold! Park Royal first, then a second round the corner before nipping up to one at Staple Corner on the 406. Down to a little firm at Hayes, where I had ot get a car moved to get in, and then have a couple of shunts to get back out again Rolling Eyes . It will be nice when this customer completes their move to new premises in a few weeks. Last drop up at Hatfield, where I'm early and they're not bothered Very Happy . Reload from Kings Lynn back to base.

Tuesday: A full load out to Iver Heath. With inclement weather forecast, I elect to get down there early, to discover they don't start until my booking time Laughing . Still, an hour admiring their locked gates whilst safely out the way of the worst of the traffic isn't so bad, and it meant I had all of their little yard to manoeuvre in before anyone else turned up Cool . Once empty I was directed to collect a trailer from a customer in Peterborough to go just a mile down the road in Peterborough . No problem, but what I was given as a 1200 delivery was a 1500 slot on the customers list. Nothing for it but to wait about until the shift change at two, then charm my way to the bay Very Happy . Home empty to save a long shift for another day.

Wednesday: Now its snowing like it means it. Following yesterdays theory I crack on early for my first drop at Waltham Abbey. Sticking to the major roads means going the pretty way round, but also means theres some hope of seeing a gritter. Not much though, as parts of the A14 and M11 are becoming snowed over already. Luckily large parts of the working population seem to have awarded themselves a duvet day, so traffic is lighter than usual. Some delicate driving gets me into and away from the first drop, and around to Southall for the following three. Roads aren't an issue, but yards and industrial estates are slippery as heck. I manage to slither round those and get up to Greenford, then round to Perivale and Alperton. By the time I reach Alperton the snow has started once more with a purpose, dumping more than half an inch in the half hour I'm there. Despite the snow, the absence of traffic means my progress back to the fen is good enough for me to head out to a farm near Ely for a collection. Whne I arrive theres only one pallet ready to go, so we load that and I work my way back to base.

Thursday: A full load into Crick, then back to Sutton to change trailers and take a load of timber down to a sawmill in Hatfield. The treat of snow was worse than the reality on the roads I'm using, but its never off my mind. Back up to the firm next door to load one home.

Friday: Another Crick load, with fresh snow in their yard making finding the bay interesting. Back over to Sutton once more, where a mix up sees my load changing from three drops to one. I get it loaded and make my way up to Spalding, where it turns out to be a trailer change rather than a delivery. Only snag is, the trailer I need to collect is parked very tight to a fence, and the slope of the ground and the ice means every attempt to get under it sees my unit sliding towards the fence. A bit of thought and some rock salt later we get hold of the return trailer, and put the new one in its place, but slightly further from the fence Laughing . Back to base and done for the week, just in time to make it home before another snow fall adds 2 inches to what was already on the floor Rolling Eyes

Virtus Propter Se.

squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Ian, it snow joke. I hate the stuff and have installed snow curtains in my bedroom

YCWCYADTC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Meeting Point All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: