The Professional Drivers Foundation: PDA Forums

PDF :: View topic - The week just gone w.e 11th Aug
Welcome ( Log in )
Profile | Forum FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups

The week just gone w.e 11th Aug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: The week just gone w.e 11th Aug Reply with quote

With the big holiday just 7 or so weeks away preparations are starting to increase. This means more visits to shops although many are unsuccessful and others produce surprising results which is why I ended up trying to fit a dining table and 6 chairs into the back of a Ford Focus (2 trips) on Tuesday. Next week promises to be much busier with appointments every day

YCWCYADTC
Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a lot of this busyness going around just lately Laughing

Monday: A ride in the countryside as I head out to Kent. Two drops in Aylesford, then down to Sittongbourne. I'm early here, which isn't normally a good thing, but they decide to let me join the queue ahead of schedule. Some time and a rejected pallet later theres just Cranbrook left to do. Its a long cross country run down from Sittingbourne, and just as far back up again once tipped. I elect to come back up through Maidstone to reach to motorway home, which just gets me into the traffic a little sooner. its a long slog home, and I fetch up in the village lay by to keep things legal.

Tuesday: Back into Guyhirn, and swap vehicles so mine can go for MOT. Having installed myslf in another Scania and collected todays trailer its off to Hemel for the first delivery. I'm on time, but they're behind and have no free bays, so I'm left waiting outside, then waiting inside, then waiting on a bay Brick Wall Almost four hours after getting in I'm getting out, with plenty left to do. Southall is my next port of call, with two drops close together. There was a third drop in Southall, but the TM and I work out that giving them the swerve will free up time for larger drops elsewhere, so its Alperton next for me. An empty yard means I can get backed straight in, tipped and on to the next in Park Royal. By the time I've taken my notes in theres space to get backed down, so in we go and off the pallets come Cool . The last delivery is also in Park Royal, and I'm back on schedule for them, luckily for me as they're not good at early, but much worse at late. For a change theres not too many waiting, so I'm in and out and away, running straight back to base.

Wednesday: First stop Bracknell, then down to Farnborough. The last delivery is in Reading, and I get to them a mere four hours ahead of the booked delivery slot. Security speak to goods in, but they're busy so I'm parked down the road for a few hours. Once I'm in and on the bay theres another hours hanging around, before its announced that some of the load isn't booked in, so its all going back as they don't have time to search through for what is booked to arrive today Fit . There follows another hour of back and forth between their office and ours, which reveals that there may be an element of clerical error at work, but theres no time to fix it today, so back to Guyhirn I go with all the pallets still in situ.

Thursday: Reunited with my unit after its MOT, and headed for Park Royal first. Perivale follows, then a little Wembley. Greenford comes next, before running over to West Drayton. Shame I didn't pay more attention to the notes, as I manage to get my customers mixed up and attempt to deliver to the wrong one Embarassed . It gave the forkie a laugh, and the right customer was on the estate next door, so not too much harm done. The last drop went into Hayes, and a small firm in a cul de sac off a cul de sac. Getting in is easy, but getting out requires a long reverse and some luck finding a place to turn around. Mine wasn't quite with me today, so I had to pull into another firms yard, then blindside out to get back facing the way I needed to go. Straight back to HQ empty.

Friday: The end of my week brings a tour of east London for a change (east of where else I've been anyway!). Rye Park first, then Waltham Abbey and Enfield. A little place in Chingford follows, complete with long reverse out, then its one pallet to Hackney, two to Barking and one more on its own to a little firm in Barking, tucked into a corner of a small estate. A bit of shunting gets me turned and out, then its a slow wet ride back up to March to swap trailers at a customers store and run the loaded one back to Guyhirn in time to be done for the weekend Waving

Virtus Propter Se.

squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side Ian, the Christmas rush will be starting soon if it's not already done so. Laughing

YCWCYADTC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Meeting Point All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: