The Professional Drivers Foundation: PDA Forums

PDF :: View topic - Weekly meanderings w.e 19th Dec
Welcome ( Log in )
Profile | Forum FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups

Weekly meanderings w.e 19th Dec

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Weekly meanderings w.e 19th Dec Reply with quote

A quiet week travel wise not helped with the inclement weather.
I did get out for a couple of strolls around the village, whilst Mrs SP was doing her final stints in the school playground. Someone did some number crunching and worked out she's spent some 27500 hours in all weathers looking after her little charges, dealing with bumps and bruises and resolving 'friendly squabbles' an euphemism if ever I saw one. Wink Laughing Laughing

YCWCYADTC
Chaslad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the cable tv/phone fella call this week, he did not look too happy even before he started talking to me. when I told that I was not happy with the mess his company left our street in, the awful tarmac scar that zigzags down the pavement, that they put out our internet at least twice...he put me down as a "no thanks" Very Happy

The lads college has moved in to a new building this week so had a nice tour around that, all new equipment etc, looks great.
The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squarepeg describes some of the Honourable Lady SP's duties
Quote:
in all weathers looking after her little charges, dealing with bumps and bruises and resolving 'friendly squabbles' an euphemism if ever I saw one.

She would have made an excellent T M I guess! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday: A steady run down to Worthing, then reload Arundel and back to the yard Very Happy

Tuesday: First stop is Erith, where an unexpected side tip saves me the blindside reverse onto the bays Very Happy . Next drop is also in Erith, and here a handy space on the next door firms forecourt saves me having to back out afterwards Cool . Onwards to Sidcup, then down to Lenham for the final and biggest delivery. Reload from Peterborough back to Guyhirn.

Wednesday: A lay in as todays mission doesn't need me to start before 0500 Laughing . The trailer is still being loaded when I arrive, but this doesn't stop me being early for my first drop in Grantham. From here to Newark, where they've got the builders in, leaving us with a temporary access road witch coats the Frogtrotter in mud Rolling Eyes . Onwards to Ilkeston, where my booking time differs from theirs by an hour, resulting in a long wait for unloading. Round to Derby to see off a single pallet, then down to Leicester to finish off. Home empty.

Thursday: Back on the road as soon as the tacho allows, bound for Coventry. Pass a nasty accident on the M6 along the way to my first drop. The resulting closure means I join the traffic going through Coventry to reach my next delivery on the other side of town. Tamworth comes next, where the tip is quick, but checking has to wait until tea break has been taken Fit . Back across the M42 to Dordon, which takes next to no time at all by their standards, then back the way I came to do two more drops round Tamworth. A pair of quick tips gets me homeward bound with time in hand, just as the M6 reopens. Straight back to base Very Happy .

Friday: Todays mission was selected while the TM had his optimistic hat on Laughing . Lutterworth is my first destination, where the first drop takes four hours and the second another two Brick Wall . This makes getting to Ludlow and back within my working day an impossibility so those pallets come back to Guyhirn with me. Here they're exchanged for a small drop in Wisbech and a couple of local collections instead Very Happy

Virtus Propter Se.

chad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing too exciting for me I'm afraid. Monday started off normal, usual paperwork hassle but at 4pm got a phone call that R T Keedwells place in Haydock was ablaze, tried to contact my 2 apprentices to make sure they were OK, finally heard around 7 ish. Looked at the place and the garage is gutted a couple of units and I think 1 trailer destroyed. Feel sorry for the lads as they are really nice guys and good fitters. Tuesday mainly involved finding out what will happen to the apprentices as the place my need to be rebuilt.
Wednesday a day driving to Cardiff university hospital for the eldest son interview, good drive down saw quite a few accidents and police rolling road block on the M5. Interview went well and back home for 6.30.
Thursday got my wage slip from the agency for Saturday's fun where I was questioned whether I'd bumped a truck. They paid me 8 hours at 9 per hour when I did 9.25 hours so less my break it would have been 8.30 hours. I asked what is the rate for Saturday as 58 for Saturday doesn't seem a lot. They told me that this place doesn't have a weekend rate so I feel shafted and won't do that one again.
Thursday and Friday uneventful. All lecturers winding down as the students finish at lunch to go for a drink. Muggins here still has plenty of reviews to do so I'm the last one in at 5pm. No work this weekend as her indoors wants to go Christmas shopping. Hopefully working next Wednesday and The following week.
Would like to wish everyone all the very best for Christmas
john (smiffy)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in for Vauxhall did 3 shifts 2 to Fareham & 1 to rugby paid 8hrs for each

that's me off till 11 jan 2016

off to cornwall on mon 21st for 2 weeks Laughing
chad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiffy, I love Cornwall spent many a happy holiday in Marazion at chapel rock apartment in Marazion. Once the kids have gone I intend to go back and chill, it has to be the most beautiful scenic palace in the uk. A lottery win would see me relocating in a heartbeat
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad. always ask the agency the rate before you accept. Get it on text if possible. Never assume. Wink

YCWCYADTC
The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting week, but basically good fun!

Monday walked with a friend and her dogs. Inspected cows and calves on a friends farm, and might have done something else but can't remember! Rolling Eyes

Tuesday on bulk. Take a ready loaded bulker into Munton's maltings work at Flamborough then when tipped down to a nice farm up on the Lincolnshire Wolds near Louth, then Scania for service in Hull and back to the yard in van and then home.

Wednesday. half a day on own before 't boss comes home and we have a nice afternoon visiting Burton Agnes Hall near Driffield.

Thursday. On bulk again with run empty to another farm near Louth, load feed wheat for Cerestar in Trafford Park, and then Soya out of Cargills Liverpool docks which changes to swap at Hartshead and bring the other load back to the yard.

Friday. Up 7hrs before the sparrows have even thought about farting Fit into the yard at 02.30 and head towards Livingston twix Glasgow and Edinburgh. Do a split Iceland and Lidl and run down to Penrith for the night. Not had a night out in a truck since August 7th Shocked but soon get myself back into routine.

Saturday. Run back to the yard, and do a Goldthorpe, followed by a load of trays ex Norberts Donny back to our yard. Funnily enough I bump into one of my old employers drivers, Les, (who I used to play rugby with) Work at my old place is shite according to him so I left at the right time I feel! Cool Back to the yard and home for the night.

Sunday. In for 10.00am, do a full load into Goldthorpe, back to the yard and head towards London Shocked ending up at Cambridge services for the night.

Monday. Up at 2.15am Fit and set off at 2.45 for a 5am booking in Lidl Belvedere just past Erith. Never been to this Lidl before, so like all classy bulker drivers I know my way and end with a blast from the past- the ADM oil seed rape crush plant at Erith of many visitations during my Walkers years Fit Embarassed Laughing !

Once found the tip goes well Shocked and I am soon away, back up the M25/M11/A14/A1M and all that, back to the yard and home.
Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad Lidl went well for you BBD.

The produse side is clearly better organised than the main goods in Laughing

Virtus Propter Se.

The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chad says;
Quote:
I love Cornwall spent many a happy holiday in Marazion at chapel rock apartment in Marazion. Once the kids have gone I intend to go back and chill, it has to be the most beautiful scenic palace in the uk. A lottery win would see me relocating in a heartbeat

With photos like this, no doubt a double lottery ticket buy could be on the agenda, chad?

Relaxation for BBD after a long drive south for tattie loading the next day, saw me sat on the terrace at the Station Inn, Long Rock this summer. Cool

chad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apartment we used to hire was right opposite st Michaels mount. The kids loved it as we opened the gate and were right next to the beach, oh happy days. The only thing I didn't like was the sarcastic fool who ran the post office, a real ignorant man but the chippy just opposite where we stayed has to be the best in the UK, the fish were like whales
learx300

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will wish you all a MERRY XMAS< and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.
As will be busy with family soon. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Meeting Point All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: