The Professional Drivers Foundation: PDA Forums

PDF :: View topic - Mid Month Memories w.e 16th Dec
Welcome ( Log in )
Profile | Forum FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Usergroups

Mid Month Memories w.e 16th Dec

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squarepeg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Mid Month Memories w.e 16th Dec Reply with quote

Woke up to a winter wonderland on Sunday, much preferred looking at it through the house window rather than a windscreen.
Monday cold an crisp so continued with the hibernation
Wednesday to Tewkesbury for a change as not sure of Fridays plans
Thursday out for a stroll
Friday DVLA medical booked

Big new of the week is the Big Boy is hopefully going home on Friday just two weeks after his op.

YCWCYADTC
Bigger Birdie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday: With sundays snow fall a fast thawing memory I set off for London bright and early, getting yards from the gate before a tyre on the mid axle decided being air tight was over rated Brick Wall . I managed to limp the lorry back into the yard to await the tyre fitter, but by the time he'd done his thing we were more than two hours behind schedule. Not a problem, couple of good tips and we'll get caught up, its only the final delivery which is really to time.......This optimism fades in the traffic going down to Park Royal, and fades still further as I'm waiting an hour just to get into the yard of my first delivery. The second is a slight improvement, as I get in the gate, just. But its an hour and a half before the forkie is ready to tip me. Sadly, the product I've brought down is for the factory rather than the stores, so that ninety minutes was a waste of time Rolling Eyes . Having got round to the factory and given them their delivery, time is well and truly getting away from us, so choices have to be made about who's getting their deliveries and which are being rebooked. The final choice sees me moving seven pallets to get four out for the final call of the day before running for home before the tacho calls time. Traffic and troubles leave me parked in the layby on the edge of the village and walking home Very Happy

Tuesday: Back to Guyhirn to swap trailers and start again. If only the trailer number on todays paperwork was the trailer it had been loaded on Fit . Having searched the yard to locate the correct trailer I'm away to Hoddesdon, and the next problem. The load sheet says two orders for the customers depot A, while the delivery notes say one for depot A and one for depot B around the corner. Depot A don't want to know about the order addressed for depot B, and depot B don't want it either, but are at least able to persuade depot A its theirs. All I have to do is drive from one to the other and back again Rolling Eyes . After this complete waste of diesel and time I go around the corner to Rye Park and deliver there, before heading down to Waltham Abbey and a big queue. As the customer is way behind and we're late they turn me away and I have to get their delivery moved up at my final stop in Hackney once they've got their own out of the trailer. Back to Walsoken to load for home and into Guyhirn.

Wednesday: A ride out to Kent and two deliveries in Sittingbourne, then back up to Belvedere and a charming little kerbside delivery. The people were nice, but the absence of a forklift meant ninety case hand balled off the trailer for my days exercise routine. Essex beckons for the next stop, in Romford. They're very busy, so its squeeze in and wait. Two hours later its my turn, but now theres time for the customer to take an interest in the paperwork it seems that I'm two weeks in front of this orders delivery slot Brick Wall . After some back and forth between our office, the customer and the delivery point, the pallets stay where they are and I head for Harlow to try my luck with the next call. No luck at all as it happens, since I'm late, they're busy and theres not enough of my working day remaining for them to get round to me, so that one comes home too. A nasty accident on the other side of the M11 brings out everybodies rubbernecking instinct, then the road works slow the traffic still further and I'm back in the layby and walking home again.

Thursday: Into the yard and swap trailers, then away to Hoddesdon for two drops. Next call is Cheshunt, then back to Waltham Abbey, on time for a change Laughing . Down to Enfield, followed by a call down in Tottenham. Its chaos here, with limited access, lorries waiting and cash and carry customers coming and going with little regard for anyone else. I'm directed to pull in when a Belgian fridge pulls out, but when I do the bin man has beaten me too it, forcing me to make one of the tightest U-turns of my career so far at the end of the road to get back. Once round the block to get lined up again and I'm in, and with a little bit of shuffling where they want it too. Tippin gis quick as theres two of them on the job then its straight back to base empty.

Friday: A full load down to Harlow, reload pallets out of Bedford. Take them to Kings Lynn, collect a pallet after tipping the empties then go to another warehouse at Lynn to finish the load. They're sort staffed and busy, so I'm redirected to another warehouse in the Lynn area who get me loaded promptly and back to Guyhirn in time for the weekend Waving

Virtus Propter Se.

The Bulky Bulker Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to think what I did!

Oh yes, Friday,up to *di* Darlington, back to the yard and swap one for Spalding which took a bit longer then expected as someone had twatted their car on the A1 near Newark, and the queue stretching back up the A1 was a long one! Fit

Saturday. Reloaded Spalding to Wakefield, did an *ld* Goldthorpe, back to the yard and stuck a *dl* Wednesbury on and ran down to Tibshelf for the night.

Sunday. Tipped Wednesbury, ran back to the yard, did another *di* Goldthorpe, down to the tray wash at Donny, loaded that, back to the yard, swapped trailers, and ran to Birch for the night.

Monday. Tipped Runcorn, up to Wigan, got rid of that one, back to the yard, did another *di* Goldthorpe, back to the yard and home!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PDF Forum Index -> Meeting Point All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: