Beware the ides of March w/e 16th

The place to chill and swap your views, wind down after a tedious week or just chat about life on the road.
Forum sponsored by Bretts Transport

Moderators: Pat Ratcliffe, Squarepeg, Bigger Birdie

Squarepeg

Beware the ides of March w/e 16th

#1 Post by Squarepeg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 am

A busy week keeping my head down and out of the wind.
We had a Milo day on Saturday so recovery was the plan for the rest of the weekend.
Another week has flashed by, I'm always surprised when I wake up and find it's Friday again.

Bigger Birdie

Re: Beware the ides of March w/e 16th

#2 Post by Bigger Birdie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:53 am

There has been no shortage of wind to keep out of too :shock:

Monday: The week begins with a ride over to Crick in someone elses unit, as Scania haven't finished servicing mine :roll: . Once empty I drop the trailer in at a customers premises in March, then run solo back to Guyhirn so another driver can take over the unit to start his shift. The first thing for him to shift is me into Peterborough on the way through, so that I can reclaim my lorry as soon as Scania have finished with it, which is a lttle over two and a half hours of my life that I won't see again :x . Once reunited with my truck its round the corner to collect a trailer in Peterborough and take that out to Wiggenhall near Kings Lynn to tip and reload a few pallets. Collections in Wisbech and Walsoken finish the load off and its back to HQ with it all.

Tuesday: Delivery number one is down in Hoddesdon, and I manage to get down there in good time, so tipping doesn't take long once they open. Second stop is a self tip in Enfield, where knowing the procedure and only having a small delivery help speed the job along nicely. A visit to North Tottenham follows, where I manage possibly the quickest turn around ever with this customer as no one else is around when I arrive, then its down to Pentonville, where things don't go quite so smoothly. The entrance is blocked by another artic trying to get in, so despite carefully getting their pallets positioned on the trailer to suit the dodgy access, I' still there near on an hour getting them off :roll: . Mind you, I could at least get in there eventually. The following delivery to Holloway had to be aborted because after half an hour of going round the block, I still couldn't get into the only red route loading bay which serves this customer. Fortunately my visits to Woodford Green, Hackney and Bromley by Bow go smoothly, and despite some stormy weather going back up the M11 I return to Guyhirn within my available hours.

Wednesday: A full load out to Crick, back to Guyhirn and reload for a place just the other side of Bury St Edmunds. I reach the address on the paperwork to be told its going to a farm up the road, which turns out to be a blessing as we tip inside the shed, out of the damp and decidedly draughty bit of weather which was going on at the time 8-) .. Having got that lot off my next job is to collect a load from a firm out the back of Soham, which was interesting as the access was only just wide enough to back into. Get that on and return to base.

Thursday: Rye Park began the run, then another drop in nearby Hoddesdon. Clerical error (we think) saw me reach Waltham Abbey 24 hours early, but the customer decided they'd take delivery anyway :D letting me get on to North Tottenham for the second time this week. Final stop was the troublesome Holloway from tuesday, which caused no bother today as the bay was clear when I arrived. Run empty up to Guyhirn and drop the trailer into our neighbours for loading then bob tail home.

Friday: Once more unto the Crick dear friends, then through to a place near Ely to reload for a customer at Sutton. Having tipped there the plan was to swap trailers and return to HQ, but the trailer I was looking for turned out to be elsewhere, so plan B was a trailer swap at March instead and take that one back to Guyhirn and finish for the week :mrgreen: