Fireworks everywhere w.e 9th Nov

The place to chill and swap your views, wind down after a tedious week or just chat about life on the road.
Forum sponsored by Bretts Transport

Moderators: Pat Ratcliffe, Squarepeg, Bigger Birdie

Squarepeg

Fireworks everywhere w.e 9th Nov

#1 Post by Squarepeg » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 am

A sore week after a fall curtailed many of my usual activities. although I did get to the usual spots.
Interesting conversations with BT over my small Intrawebbie upgrade the main problem of an old copper wire connection still remains and the doesn't seem any plans to improve it.
On Thursday it was dry long enough to get all my outdoor furniture into the garage for winter, just need to get my bean trench out now.

Bigger Birdie

Re: Fireworks everywhere w.e 9th Nov

#2 Post by Bigger Birdie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Hope the bruising isn't too uncomfortable.
get my bean trench out now
Not a euphemism perchance? ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigger Birdie

Re: Fireworks everywhere w.e 9th Nov

#3 Post by Bigger Birdie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:33 pm

On a more serious note, some trucking was done this week.

Monday: First stop Rye Park, for another uneventful back door delivery. Next on my list was a little firm in Waltham Abbey. I found the unit without too much difficulty, tucked away at the back of a little complex of lock ups. There wasn't much hope of getting the lorry in and no signs of life either, so I waited a while as I was ahead of the booking time, then nipped back for another look. Still no one home, so I got our office on the case, as my next port of call had no sense of humour about lateness. Several strolls round to the unit and phone calls later still no one home, so that pallet remained on the trailer and I ran down to my first Enfield drop still just about on time. Not that it did me much good, as this firm was busy, and it took the best part of two hours to get a bay, and almost another hour after that for them to tip me and return the paperwork. Enfield number two was a bit of a squeeze as another lorry was already in the yard, but I got slotted in. The fork lift driver soon prised himself out from behind his desk once he realised how jammed up the forecourt was, but too much haste in the unload saw him drop a wheel into a recessed drain, toppling a ton of tinned goods off the pallet. Fortunately for me he was well away from the trailer, so I was able to extricate myself from the mess and crack on to Enfield number three. A locked gate there told me I shouldn't have bothered, so instead it was hurry round to Hackney. This was worth doing as I beat their curfew by at least five minutes, and they were happy to have the delivery, despite having to move a few pallets to get it out. Back to HQ empty.

Tuesday: Out onto the M25 for a drop in Egham, just early enough to miss the rush. Next stop Iver, where I was pleased to discover that I knew a better way in than my sat nav did, then along to Slough for the last big delivery. Marlow, High Wycombe and Berkhampstead all passed without incident, although I was glad of a fellow drivers advice on the Berkhampstead. Backing in off the main road made the job much simpler than driving in and then having to try and extract oneself. Back to Guyhirn empty.

Wednesday: I so enjoyed visiting Slough that I got to go again today. One pallet into Ashford after that, then up to Bedford to reload pallets back to base.

Thursday: Away early to hit Bromsgrove in good time, then across country to Evesham. After a well earned break in a handy lay by Worcester beckoned, via a relaxing run up the M5. Some more M5 got me up to Smethwick, then it was around the houses to Tipton and a final drop near the centre of Birmingham. Break numer two came outside the final customers premise, then it was a steady ride home, pausing to drop the trailer into a customers storage at March.

Friday: Waltham Cross for one pallet, back up to Rye Park for several pallets,and a long wait in Harlow to shift the final few . Straight home empty and off for the weekend :mrgreen: