Leading up to Oak Apple day, w.e 30th May

The place to chill and swap your views, wind down after a tedious week or just chat about life on the road.
Forum sponsored by Bretts Transport

Moderators: Pat Ratcliffe, Squarepeg, Bigger Birdie

Squarepeg

Leading up to Oak Apple day, w.e 30th May

#1 Post by Squarepeg » Fri May 29, 2020 7:28 am

Not a lot to report this week, just the usual with the exception of a visit from the farriers on Tuesday.
Friday is not only Oak Apple day it is also our 49 Anniversary, we normally go out for a pub lunch to celebrate, I'll have to see what I can do to replicate that.

Bigger Birdie

Re: Leading up to Oak Apple day, w.e 30th May

#2 Post by Bigger Birdie » Sun May 31, 2020 4:37 am

Heres hoping that Mr and Mrs Squarepeg found a way to celebrate their 49th anniversary :D

Thats a lot of time to be annoying one person for :lol:

Monday: A bank holiday where things got done in the garden 8-)

Tuesday: Back to work and down to Enfield. I managed to get in early on my first delivery, and straight to a bay, meaning the queue started behind me :lol: My next Enfield was closed when I arrived, reduced hours during the pandemic apparently :roll: . Off to Tottenham, then back over the north circ to Edmonton, and still not opening time in Enfield, so I push on to Chingford and Woodford Green, then run back around to where I started to finally get that pallet gone. Swap trailers at a customers store in March and back to HQ.

Wednesday: My fathers funeral :cry:

Thursday: A return to Rye Park, then onwards to Edmonton before tootling into Tottenham. Things were going swimmingly all the way to Walthamstow, where the first drop came off in next to no time, whilst the second didn't. Awaiting entry to the premised were several other lorries by the time it was my turn, which made it a bit of a squeeze getting in, and a bit more getting out. Not helped at all by the pedestrian who reckoned that slipping into the very small gap between me and another vehicle was a good idea! Even after I'd been waving at him to stay back whilst I threaded my way out. Many bad words were said at this point, but the foot traveller had gone before I could say them to his face :roll: . One more delivery to Hornsey and me and my empty trailer are off to Fulbourne near Cambridge to reload back to Guyhirn. Previous visits have taught me that earlier is better for getting in here, and so it proved today. I rolled up during lunch break, to find an empty bay awaiting me. By the time I left, there was a queue of three looking at two busy bays :lol: . Spend the journey back disagreeing with my sat nav, which has an odd idea of the best way out. Not much difference in journey time but some mileage saved on my route, so one up to me 8-)

Friday: A late plan change sees me heading north, with an early Wakefield booking to get to. That done, two drops in Elland follow, with added entertainment brought by the closure of the main road down the hill into the town, leaving us all to follow the older, windier road down. Very glad to have been light going down there. Elland one, no bother, in and out fast as you like, with use of the poshest portable toilets I think I've ever seen :o . Elland two, not open until almost an hour after my arrival, but very prompt unloading as soon as they had turned up. A long ride down to Stretham to reload, then back to Guyhirn to get it parked for the weekend :mrgreen: