2nd week of June

The place to chill and swap your views, wind down after a tedious week or just chat about life on the road.
Forum sponsored by Bretts Transport

Moderators: Pat Ratcliffe, Squarepeg, Bigger Birdie

Squarepeg

2nd week of June

#1 Post by Squarepeg » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:59 am

Was much like all the weeks previously apart from another birthday and a visit to my Mother. What is going on in the wider world saddens me beyond mention.

Bigger Birdie

Re: 2nd week of June

#2 Post by Bigger Birdie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 am

I can't imagine a better birthday present than getting to see your mum in the current circumstances. So very happy that little bit of timing fell the way it did.
The goings on in the wider world just evoke a mixture of sadness and anger at it all.

Meanwhile out on the road....

Monday: Run solo over to March to collect my trailer, then off to Enfield to get the first delivery off the back of it. Next stop was Sidcup, then on the final call out at Southfleet. Normally not too much of a problem, the way in off the A2 is up one country lane, turn left just before the width limit and go down the hill, entrance on the right. Today the left turn greets me with a set of "Road Closed" signs. No clue as to where this might be, and not wishing to find the width limit the hard way, I turn in anyway and cross my fingers. Didn't do me any good, as the closure was barely a hundred yards before the entrance, a big hole almost the full width of the road. Nothing for it but to reverse out and retrace my steps in search of the diversion. Signs were found on the A2 roundabout, but it was a false dawn as they just ran me one junction down the road before pointing back the way I came. Next idea, try another road off the roundabout which should allow me to get in via the other end of the road. The roads are narrow and the trailer tall, which isn't good for following traffic as its raining twigs and branches behind while I try to find the alternative way in. More diversion signs appear, but these point to an even narrower lane than the one I'm in with an "Unsuitable for HGV" sign prominent at its entrance. Having grown up in the area I'm well aware that some of the lanes really aren't suitable for much more than cars, so that's not an option meaning onward we go. With no obvious alternatives, and nowhere to stop and try to check the map, I call HQ and explain my predicament whilst wending my way through the countryside back to where I started. Eventually the customer calls me back and gives me some directions to get in at the other end of their road, so off we go with the new information to find the way round. Don't worry about the "road closed" signs when you turn in they said, the works are past the entrance. What they didn't know was that there were two holes, one either side of them. Having got so close again, a handily placed farm entrance gave me room to back off the road, update HQ on the problems and await their response. Another call from the customer, who didn't know about the second hole and the advice is to come in through the village. A bit of Google research reveals the road should be passable with care, so away we go with everything firmly crossed. The village was passable, but only just, with a real heart in mouth moment involving a tree and a parked car. Not quite sure how it all fitted together, but the tree and the car were both intact in my mirrors afterrwards. At the edge of the village I meet a fridge wagon coming in down the little lane I'd dismissed earlier, which imeadiately becomes my preferred exit route. Just the small matter of getting tipped first, which can't start until after lunch. When it does start its a slow job as the pallets seem to be taken miles away from where I'm parked, Finally empty its just a squeeze through the village, to the bemusement of the school run crowd, and out up the lane I'd seen the fridge lorry come down. It was narrow, the branches got a pasting from my trailer, but it was short and a blessed relief to be out of. Back up to the village lay by as that was all the time left.

Tuesday: Back to base and swap trailers, then down to Rye Park for delivery number one. Waltham Abbey for the second, where a change of ownership seems to have brought a welcome change of attitude as well. No longer does it seem sucha chore to unload their own stock! Another visit to Southgate and a return to somewhere in Edmonton I haven't been for quite a while, then over the north circ to a little back road in Upper Edmonton. No bother getting in and the pallet off, but getting out was more troublesome. A badly parked BMW meant that going the way I had intended wasn't possible. Sadly I was a long way into a tight turn when this became apparant, requiring a lot of backing and shunting to get myself out of the soup and leave all the parked cars intact. A hard reminder about using all the road, and a small delay to my journey to Hackney, where my still early arrival cheers them up as I'm the days final delivery, making for a quiet afternoon there. Not so quiet for me, as I still have a Rainham delivery to get done, and a lorry to drop into Scania on the way home. With mine dropped off I run another one back to HQ and the end of my day.

Bigger Birdie

Re: 2nd week of June

#3 Post by Bigger Birdie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:16 pm

The saga continues....

Wednesday: First call is into Enfield, where my plan to get in early pays as there were free bays when I arrived, and a queue when I left. Drop two is in Belvedere, and with trouble on the M25 I elect to take my chances on the Woolwich ferry. A one boat service meant it wasn't quite the timesaver I'd hoped for, and left me over an hour late by the time I got to Belvedere. Not that it would have made much difference with six ahead in the queue at a depot not known for speedy turn arounds. HQ are advised of the issue, as I'm now worried about my pair of Sittingbourne deliveries after this, and by the time I am rolling once more over two hours later, a plan is hatched. I meet another driver in Sittingbourne and swap trailers with him, so he can do the last two deliveries and I can run back to Guyhirn with his return load. A steady run back with a heavy trailer behind me is the ideal end to the clock watching first half of the day.

Thursday: A return to Rye Park, then another trip into Enfield to a different customer with no queue today, and a usefully empty yard too. Back down to Edmonton once again, then along to Woodford Green to tip another before finishing off in Rainham. Return to Stretham to reload back to Guyhirn.

Friday: Another day, another trip to Rye Park. Then a return to Enfield where the chilled is queuing worse than the ambient for a change, before heading out to Grays and finishing off with a flying visit to Dagenham before running home empty for the weekend :mrgreen: